Friday, July 28, 2017

Weezer: Make Believe (2005)

Weezer: Make Believe (2005):


Rivers needs some Prozac

I actually really do like Weezer, believe it or not. I got into this band during the Junior year of high school when I found my dad's copy of the Blue Album. From there, I discovered the rest of their discography; from Maladroit to the Red Album to Pinkerton. In fact, Pinkerton changed my perspective on what music can do just because of how bluntly honest it is. Like any long time band, Weezer's had their fair share of highs and lows over the years. Make Believe is one of those lows.

Reviewing a band like Nickelback isn't hard for me because I don't have that personal connection to them. By contrast, this is the worst kind of review to do: where you really do love the band, but still come to the realization that an album is terrible. It's like falling in love with a girl... only to realize she kicks kittens. 

That's the boat I'm in with Make Believe.

Of course, there were a few good tracks on this album. As much as people pick on "Perfect Situation" for not having a chorus, it's still a great song about heartbreak. The same goes for "This is Such a Pity," I'm a sucker for those New Wave-y synths. Even "Peace" is a pretty good song.

But my major problem with this album is the tone. I'm not opposed to a sad song by any means. Some of the best music is sad stuff (Joy Division, The Cure, Sunny Day Real Estate, etc). But the key to making good "sad music" is to make it a cathartic experience for the listener, or at least making the subject matter relatable enough that you can empathize with the songwriter. Even Weezer's lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, knew this on past albums. Especially for Pinkerton

The main problem with Make Believe is that it's sad, but not relatable. So what happens is that you walk in to this album happier than when you come out. Truth be told, I never made it through the album in one go before this review. If you listen to this album, do it in short bursts. If you don't pace yourself, you might overdose on SAD!

Let's get this (depressing) album review started...


Track 1: Beverly Hills

A lot of Weezer fans seem to think this is one of the worst songs they ever made. Although I think they have made worse over the years, they are right to criticize this song. There's a lot wrong with "Beverly Hills"

This was the first track from Make Believe to be released as a single. And honestly, I don't think it's a good representation of the album. As you'll soon see, most of the album sounds a lot more downbeat than this track. So it's a little odd to see this song as not only the first track on Make Believe, but the first single issued by the record company.

A lot of people take issue with the lyrics in this song. Most of the song is focused on a guy daydreaming about being a successful celebrity. And Rivers apparently appreciates the finer things in life:

Look at all those movie stars 
They're all so beautiful and clean 
When the housemaids scrub the floors 
They get the spaces in between

This isn't the first thing I'd think of when I think about Weezer, that's for sure.


However, my major problem with this song is that the instrumentation is so goddamn dull. It's just two chords played again and again throughout the entire song. There's no variety in the composition at all; even the solo doesn't distract you from the fact that it's just two chords. If Rivers really wanted to utilize such a basic guitar part, then the rest of the instruments should have brought something interesting: maybe a more complicated drum part, expressive vocals, or an interesting bass line. The rest of the band is ultimately what kills this track for me.

In short, the lyrics are unrelatable, and the instrumentation is about as interesting as watching bread mold.


Track 2: Perfect Situation

It's so odd to think the worst song on Make Believe is followed by the best song. And yet here we are.

Before I got into Weezer's back catalogue and this song would come on the radio, I genuinely enjoyed it. I could tell there was a lot of emotion behind the music. It really resonated with me, and for a long time I wanted to find out who made this track.

The song's subject matter is about a guy who blew his chance with a woman. And let's just say he didn't take it too well:

In the Perfect Situation
I let love down the drain

This is one of the few songs on the album that is both sad AND relatable. It's a pretty common experience to fall for someone, only to take it hard when you think you blew it. 

The song continues by describing Rivers' feelings of inadequacy.

Though I can't satisfy all the needs she has
And so she starts to wander...
Can you blame her?

Though I haven't been in a serious relationship yet, I know how it feels to have to compete for someone's attention. As it turns out, it's not a lot of fun. I know that one the one hand, Rivers' relationship with this girl is probably hosed because he can't keep her happy. On the other hand, I can relate to this character and really want to see him get the girl. This is the kind of song I can get behind.

If the rest of Make Believe were as relatable as "Perfect Situation," I would honestly love the album far more.


Track 3: This is Such a Pity


This song leaves me feeling a little ambivalent. On the one hand, I love it. But on the other, I hate it.


On the one hand, I really love the use of synthesizers in this song. It gives this song a really interesting 1980s throwback feel akin to The Cure. Considering that I already have a love of that 80s new wave/post-punk sound, Weezer's extensive use of synths in this song was obviously going to appeal to me.


On the other hand, the lyrics are pretty awful:


I know how to pick on you 
You pushed me over the edge

The theme of this song is that Rivers and Mystery Girl should try to reconcile and get their relationship back on track. But considering that the lines I quoted above say these two bring out the worst in each other, I'm not so sure it's worth saving.


This is such a pity 
We should give all our love to each other 
Not this hate that destroys us

They love to hate each other? Yeah, that's not normal.


Also, as someone who has listened to quite a bit of Weezer, the thought of Rivers picking on a woman seems a little out of character. Granted, it's not as if Rivers has never done anything regrettable as far as women are concerned, but I have trouble believing he's done anything malicious. Especially considering that lines like "Everybody thinks we're crazy/They're about to call the police" sound like domestic abuse. 

Didn't Weezer use to be a fun, goofy band? What happened to that?


Track 4: Hold Me

"Hold Me" is the epitome of what is wrong with Make Believe. According to interviews, Rivers wrote this song after fasting for 24 hours. And while I'm sure that not eating or drinking for a whole day would put you in a bad mood, it just comes off as dark for the sake of being dark.

The first two lines in the song are:

I am terrified of all things
Frightened of the dark

How am I supposed to relate to a full grown man who's afraid of a wet paper bag? 

Come to think of it, was this written by an adult? I have a hard time believing that considering he said he's afraid of the dark.


And then there's the way the chorus kicks in. I think Rivers was trying to put all his pain into saying "Hold Me" to maximize the emotional punch, but the way he wails the chorus combined with the band kicking in hits you like a brick wall. A brick wall that really needs Prozac.


Please don't listen to "Hold Me" without some antidepressants near by. I can't be held responsible for what happens next...


Track 5: Peace

To be honest, this track is pretty alright. It seems to be about a troubled relationship (when has that ever happened on this album?), but it seems to be pretty decently done. It's not dark for the sake of being dark, which usually peeves me.

It's one of the better song on Make Believe. I wish more of the album were like this.


Track 6: We Are All on Drugs

According to Rivers, the song is about how we are all overstimulated and addicted. In the case of this song, "drugs" are anything that could be considered addictive: smartphones, social media, writing a blog for terrible music reviews, drugs.

There is an interesting idea to be had there, but the problem is that Rivers' argument doesn't translate to the lyrics. It just sounds like people are doing drugs everywhere: driving in a luxury car, listening to music, showing up late to school, and pretty much any other activity you can think of. And depending on your version of the album, you may also have been graced with these lines:


I want to confiscate your drugs 
I don't think I can get enough 

So... Rivers wants to confiscate your drugs to get high off them?

I have several questions...
















This album is really weird.


Track 7: The Damage in Your Heart

Well, come on. That intro is just melodramatic!

At least it fits the music. The song is basically about a girl with emotional baggage, and Rivers trying to console her.

One more tear 
Falling down your face 
Doesn't mean that much to the world

I can't be the only person who reads this as "nobody cares that you're sad." 

Isn't that reassuring?

Rivers' heart may be in the right place, but he applied the wrong solution. It's like going to the mechanic to get your check engine light looked at, only for the mechanic to give you the car back with no engine and say "well, at least you don't have to worry about the check engine light."

Track 8: Pardon Me

Sometimes I can be the meanest person in the world

Really now?

Sure, Rivers is a socially awkward guy. We've known that since he sung a song about hanging out alone in his bedroom in 1994. But honestly, I don't think Rivers is the "meanest person in the world." After all, this is the same guy that didn't want to tip over cows because he might make them sad. So you might say I'm a little skeptical.

These lyrics go to pretty dark places:


So I apologize to you 
And to anyone else that I hurt too 
I may not be a perfect soul 
But I can learn self-control

Uh, Rivers? You okay there, buddy? Seriously, I doubt it's all you.

At his worst, Rivers Cuomo seems to have the opposite problem of Chad Kroeger. When Chad writes a terrible song about women, it makes me want to vomit from his blatant, creepy sexism. Kroeger also seems to be completely oblivious to this fact. On the other hand, Rivers seems to always blame himself for all the woes of a relationship, when in reality he's probably just dating terrible women.


Track 9: My Best Friend

Seriously, what's this song doing here? It doesn't fit the downer tone of Make Believe. I think it got lost on the way to a different album.

Apparently, this song was supposed to be on the Shrek 2 soundtrack, but it got cut because it didn't fit the film. Rather than just scrap the song entirely, it was instead included on Make Believe. If it had just been a random b-side to a single, or just scrapped entirely, Make Believe would have been tighter writing-wise. But as is, this song feels a little out of place.


We're wearing red to this thing, right?













Track 10: The Other Way

The lyrics are pretty blunt in "The Other Way," but not in a Pinkerton way. Take this line for instance:


I have many fears about rejection


You can't just announce how your characters feel! That makes me feel angry!


One of the most basic rules of story telling is Show, Don't Tell. That means that it's far better to show a character grappling with an emotion than to have the character announce "I'm grappling with an emotion." But this song seems not to understand that basic tenet of storytelling. A little more subtlety would have been appreciated.


Track 11: Freak Me Out

We have officially reached peak sad. This is not a drill!

Even on a musical level, I can tell this song is going to be a downer. The guitar harmonic motif at the beginning sounds sad. 

The harmonica at the end of one of the choruses reminds me a lot of Weezer songs like "My name is Jonas". But unlike "My Name is Jonas" it isn't a unique, charming touch, it just makes this song sound even more sad.

Speaking of sad, as near as I can tell, this song is about Rivers walking down the street and getting startled.

No, really:


City streets at night
Can be so intimidating
I'm not the toughest guy 
I gotta keep my eyes open 
You came out of nowhere
Man, you really freak me out

I was just kidding about Rivers being frightened by a wet paper bag! I didn't think he was actually that skittish...

Track 12: Haunt You Every Day

How do you wrap up Make Believe? By making the saddest possible song you can to finish the album! Everything from the moody piano at the beginning to the band kicking in around the chorus somehow screams "sad" even more than the last track.

As far as the lyrics go, the terrible relationship described throughout this album has finally ended. Unfortunately, Rivers hasn't got over the girl.

Ohhh 
So alone in love 
So alone in love 
I'm going to haunt you every day  
Haunt you every day

I know I'm supposed to sympathize with Rivers here, but I'm not so sure the relationship ending was such a bad thing. Just based on the story in Make Believe, it almost seems like a good thing. After all, they do bring out the worst in each other. 

In other words, "Haunt You Every Day" is the closest thing to a happy ending the album can muster, and it's still depressing!

I really need to listen to something happy right now.


Conclusion:

To conclude, I don't hate Weezer. Quite the opposite: I love this band a lot, and they'll always have a special place in my heart. But this album is still a complete downer to listen to. If you have some antidepressants (or a very optimistic nature), then it's safe to listen to this album in moderation.


-----

Sauce:

http://www.azlyrics.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Believe_(Weezer_album)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Legendary Stardust Cowboy - "Paralyzed" (1968)

"See you, Space Cowboy..." Background "The Legendary Stardust Cowboy" is the stage name of Norman Carl Odam of Lubbock, ...