Friday, August 12, 2016

Nickelback: The State (1999)

I guess it's time I finally do another Nickelback review...


The mix is more polished than last time, you can really start to hear the band become the radio polished version we know and love today. Although this album is better than Curb in some ways, the limitations of Chad Kroger's voice are becoming apparent; I'm sure he's trying to hit those high notes and push himself, but he can't really do it. On the last album, Kroger sang it raspier and scratchier, possibly trying to imitate Kurt Cobain (which quite a few post-grunge guys tried to do with varying success). It's apparent his voice isn't on the level of Kurt.

The album is fairly solid, but one criticism I can make is that none of the tracks stand out to me. After listening to this album, I can't think of any particularly interesting moments where I think “This was an interesting track” or “I wonder how they played this section”. This thing just starts and ends without leaving an impression on me. That's what makes this whole album hard for me to critique; it's so perfectly boring that criticism is hard to come by. I feel like one of the Neutral aliens from Futurama: after listening to this album, I have no strong feelings toward it one way or the other.

Prepare for an exhilarating night of neutrality--
or not!
 
Still, I guess if someone held me at gunpoint and told me that I had to listen to one Nickelback album, this is the one I'd wind up choosing. And then I'd wonder why I'm getting held at gunpoint to listen to albums. That's an issue for another day...

Track 1: Breathe

The guitars have less of that 90s noise/fuzz than the debut. The track begins with a brief talkbox riff before kicking into the main riff. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really like the talkbox guitar sound in this song. For this song, it's just not impressive to me on a technical level. And to be fair, I've heard people make their guitars "talk" with these devices (which I DO find to be extra cool), so it's not just me ripping on talkboxes.

Track 2: Cowboy Hat

Has an acoustic intro, which alleviates some of my concerns about the last album having a bad case of same sound. There's a break where the acoustic guitar is reincorporated, which is nice.

Track 3: Leader of Men

Also starts out with an acoustic and an electric guitar with some sort of phaser/chorus pedal before it kicks into the guitar riff. This track is also fine.

Track 4: Old Enough

Starts with some nice guitar fuzz before the drums kick in and it turns into a standard rock song. The lyrics are about a girl, but don't seem to be doing that creepy Denny Stalker thing again.

Track 5: Worthy to Say

For a second, I thought it was a interstitial track, but then the lyrics started. An interstitial would've broken up the album, and thus would be a welcome change.
The track opens up with some hollow-sounding drums (like the drums in Led Zeppelin's “When the Levee Breaks”) before Kroger's vocals kick in. It then launches into a standard rock song by the chorus.

Subject wise, seems to be about Kroger finding a place to do drugs in a back alley, and the sketchy people who hang around those kinds of spots. Sometimes they got caught by the cops, sometimes not. I don't know whether Kroger actually did drugs, or if he's trying to form a bad boy image to compliment his rock star persona.

Track 6: Diggin' This

Not very exciting to listen to. I don't think there's a lot interesting happening musically here, the riff is pretty monotonous, it's only two notes. 

I guess you could say I'm not diggin' this!
Okay, that was terrible. Kind of like...
 
Track 7: Deep

It's not very interesting here either. Again, I don't think there's much going on here...

Track 8: One Last Run

This does sound promising. The build has a lot of energy, and it's something different from the other two tracks which were kind of tough to get through. It at least sounds happier than the rest of the album, which might be why it stuck out to me. And by stick out, I mean that it stuck out as much as an off-white paint splotch on a white wall. Apart from the tone shift, I don't think I'd say “Wow, I'd love to listen to Track 8 again!” It only sticks out in the context of the album being so same-y.

Track 9: Not Leavin' Yet

Has an interesting opening riff. One of the better tracks I've heard, though I wish the tempos were more dynamic on this album in general. Some of Kroger's screams sound good here, it'd be nice to hear him do this more and let loose. The band sound really constrained a lot of times.

On the other hand, the decision to invoke so much Christian imagery of Jesus is an odd decision. It comes across as melodramatic, but not in a good way. The first two lines in this are “Come lie next to me Jesus Christ/ Holes in hand where a cross used to fit just right”.

What seems to be challenging me here is what this is a metaphor for. There's a woman mentioned in the last stanza, but there's more focus on the Jesus imagery, so it's a little difficult to ascertain what that metaphor is. In this song, Kroger is Jesus, and the woman is...? I don't think it's actually a song about Christianity outright though... that's what Creed is for!

Track 10: Hold Out Your Hand

The opening is very metal (by Nickelback's standards), but otherwise it doesn't leave a strong impression on me. The verses are a chugging guitar before the “loud” piece happens, and the guitars fill out the rest of the song by the chorus. The only thing of note here is the solo/break here that is trying for an eastern flavor.

Track 11: Leader of Men (Acoustic)

Started off with an acoustic guitar coupled with a phaser/ chorus pedal. This is an acoustic redux of “Leader of Men” but the song never made an impression on me the first time around, so I didn't realize that until I looked at the track titles.

This is a pretty good way to close an album. By the end, you want to wrap up the album by slowing it down a bit, and acoustic songs are a good way of doing this.

I think the saddest part of doing this review was upon realizing I had lost track of how long I was listening to Nickelback. Please leave the music masochism to the professionals, nobody should have to come to this sad realization!

Tune in next time when I review Silver Side Up. God help me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Legendary Stardust Cowboy - "Paralyzed" (1968)

"See you, Space Cowboy..." Background "The Legendary Stardust Cowboy" is the stage name of Norman Carl Odam of Lubbock, ...